Thursday, May 13, 2010

Rhubarb



I love rhubarb. Everything about it is so lovely. The plants have big, huge leaves that look awesome in your garden. The stalks are a beautiful mulberry hue. You can cook it slowly, softening it with some sugar into a tasty, sweet treat. You can chop it up and saute it in with your stir fry. Then it retains a bit of that celery-like crunch. Rhubarb is spring's perfect treat.

Rhubarb also has the magic of bringing me back to my grandmother's kitchen when I was about 8 years old. My grandmother made everything from rhubarb in the springtime. My sister and I were sent out to her small city lot patch to carefully pull up the delightful stalks. I watched her wash and chop them, getting ready for rhubarb pie, rhubarb crisp, strawberry rhubarb jam and tomato rhubarb jelly. I'm so thankful for rhubarb every spring. It's a chance for me to spend some time reminiscing about my beloved grandmother. It's also my turn to fill my kitchen with those wonderful smells so that my girls can share in a little bit of Grandma Grace love.

If you have a favorite rhubarb recipe, please send it to me!

2 comments:

  1. Rhubarb Ice Cream:
    http://www.sugarlaws.com/rhubarb-ice-cream

    Sounds weird, but super yummy! Which reminds me, I need to pick my rhubarb...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a fab post with a number of good recipes (be sure to check the replies here as well): http://tinyurl.com/2esurhq

    ReplyDelete